List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Stefan Majewsky <majewsky () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-06-30 13:58:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag 30 Juni 2009 14:20:58 schrieb Allan Sandfeld Jensen:
> I doubt it! Most people like to the interface to talk a language they
> understand. Only technical experts knows what a KiB or a MiB is, most users
> on the other hand are comfortable with KB and MBs.

But continuing with fuzzy language cannot be an option, either. With KB and MB
used for both binary and decimal units, users are confused about things like
500 GB harddrives magically shrinking to 465,6 GB because the latter one is
465,6 GiB. Consistent naming of the units brings more transparency in the end,
and frankly, I doubt that anyone really notices the "i" if he does not know
about that.

Greetings
Stefan