List:       kde-devel
Subject:    services listed by the zeroconf kioslave (was: Re: Techical Reason
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-30 11:38:58

Lundi, le 29 juin 2009, à 21:09, Thiago Macieira a écrit:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
> > There are numerous basic problems with band-aiding the dolphin
> > engine as the backend for konqueror file management that make it very
> > very frustrating to work with. You cannot even make konqueror behave
> > like konqueror since it now shares setting with dolphin.
>
> The only functionality I'm currently missing is zeroconf:/ showing
> _http._tcp too. I don't know where the problem lies.

See http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=781887

The zeroconf kioslave had been limited in that commit to just the protocols
which do offer filesystem-like data structures (useful for Dolphin, not
useful for Konqueror).

Besides, the technology used (zeroconf/dns-sd) is of no real interest to the
user (she does not care about the filesystem being ext4, too, in e.g. the
filedialog). Which is why I have created the network:/ kioslave, residing in
kdebase/runtime/kioslave/network, moving zeroconf to be just one of several
backends* for delivering the info about the services and devices in the
(local) network, without clustering the UI with unneeded technical details,
also merging the different service discovery systems into one central and
neutral view onto the network.
One big problem currently: In Dolphin it also shows the non-filesystem-like
services, what might confuse users. Needs to be worked on next. Well,
Rom^WKDE4 was not built in a day.

* Currently it's still the only one. I hope for more in time for KDE 4.4, e.g.
a UPnP one, a SMB one, and a LISa one. Helpful coding fingers very much
welcome :)

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: For some more details about the network:/ kioslave go to
http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/network-kioslave-entered-kdereview/
--
Okteta - KDE 4 Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta