List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Stefan Majewsky <majewsky () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-06-30 10:37:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Of course, Aaron is right about that this is a developer list, not a user
list, but here are my two cents.

Am Dienstag 30 Juni 2009 01:51:07 schrieb David C. Rankin:
> 	KDE4 konqueror is displaying size in KiB and MiB instead of the
> traditional KB and MB. Where can I change this so I can view the size in KB
> & MB? The 'i' means nothing to my use of konqueror, but it is distracting
> to the eye to now have a whole new useless column of 'i's streaming down
> the page. The view is a whole lot cleaner without them. I'm sure somebody
> cares whether the file is 41.6 KiB instead of 41.6 KB, but I would be
> startled if the percentage of people that do exceeds 1%.

I'm sure that the percentage of people caring about the difference between
power-of-10 and power-of-2 units exceeds by far the percentage of people
caring about the extra "i".

After all, why aren't you asking for the "B" to be removed? The "B"s also form
a whole new useless column (in your wording). The point is that the binary
units are just written in the form "KiB", "MiB" and so on. The SI unit system
is an ISO standard, so KDE can't just ignore it.

Also, the difference between 41.6 KiB and 41.6 KB might not be that big
(2.4%), but for gigabytes, the difference grows to 7.4%. This is a magnitude
that certainly cannot be ignored.

If a setting was to introduce to switch between the abbreviations "KiB" and
"KB", I would certainly vote for calculating both according to the SI (i.e.
1KB = 1000B and 1KiB = 1024B).

Greetings
Stefan