List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Umbrello versioning
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2009-06-15 11:15:59

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:24:26AM +0200, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Hi,
> First I'd like to congratulate on such abitious project as Umbrello.
>
> I'd like to ask about versioning of the app. After looking at:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello/version.h?revision=814684&view=markup
>
> I found that the version depends on the KDE version the app is running in.
> This makes it harder to distinguish between two different builds -
> these both can show the same version, so the bug reports can be harder
> (lsm file is also outdated).
> Maybe that's not a problem assuming that packagers set reasonable
> version for the package?

We don't have  many Umbrello developers and we found releases were
being made where nobody had bothered to update the version number.

A better solution would be a script (maybe run by the release dude)
which updates version numbers.  I'm curious how other apps with few
maintainers solve this.

Jonathan