List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Relicensing another author's work
From:       Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-12 3:39:46

2009/5/23 Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> There's some code that was imported into Ark a few years ago
> (plugins/bk) that is licensed as GPLv2-only. We need the author to
> relicense it to comply to KDE's licensing policy, but he doesn't have
> SVN access. Is it enough to just ask him and say he OK'd it in the
> commit message? Do we need to do anything else so that the process
> looks as transparent as possible?

I've been in contact with the author and after some exchanged e-mails
he said "I have heard from a KDE guy that there are plenty of
contributors to KDE who will not relicence their software GPL3 and
that's perfectly fine, it's only required for a very few projects. So
I won't do it either".

After reading the licensing policy article in Techbase I felt
GPLv2-only code wasn't allowed. Is it perfectly fine or not? Does this
code need to be removed from the tree?