List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Select & middle-mouse Paste Fails Sometimes
From:       Robin Atwood <robin () binro ! org>
Date:       2009-06-10 8:56:53

On Wednesday 10 June 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 June 2009 07:15:59 David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates,
> >
> > 	Probably 10-20% of the time, selecting text in say 'kwrite', then
> > attempting to paste the text in say konqueror's google search window does
> > *not* paste the text that was just selected. Alt+tab back to kwrite and
> > confirm that the text was/is selected; deselect and reselect and then
> > paste again in konqueror and this time it works. What gives?
> >
> > 	More importantly what to check? If this had happened only once, I'd just
> > chock it up to gremlins somewhere and go on. But today it has happened
> > more times than it has happened in the last 3 years of kde3. Is there
> > some buffer or something I can monitor/dump that could give a bit more
> > information about where the problem might be?
> >
> > 	This is running on openSuSE's kde43beta1; Version 4.2.88 (KDE 4.2.88
> > (KDE 4.3
> >
> > >= 20090527)) "release 127"
>
> I see the same problem in Mandriva 2009.1, so it's probably not vendor
> specific.  Also, highlighting sometimes doesn't copy to clipboard.

Curious, I was going to investigate this thoroughly today and post my results.
It never happened with KDE3 but does about 50% of the time with KDE 4.2. I
have klipper running but it makes no difference if "synchronise clipboard and
selection" is enabled or not. I get get the same problem selecting text in
kwrite, konqueror and double-clicking on konsole. I am running a current
Gentoo system with KDE 4.2.4, xorg-x11 7.4 and xserver 1.5.3.

HTH
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling