List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SystemSettings:: PolicyKit:: the bootstrap problem
From:       Dario Freddi <drf54321 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-07 23:06:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 07 June 2009 23:22:08 KSU wrote:
> And it is here that you are wrong.  There exists a package:
>
> http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit-gnome-0.9.tar.bz2
>
> Where is the one for KDE?

kdebase/workspace/PolicyKit gives you any clue? You are again making a lot of
confusion.

> Some users build KDE from source.  If they do this, there will be no
> distro policies for KDE!

As long as they build workspace they do.

> I discussed this with the other users on my system and it was agreed
> that I was the sysadmin.  Seriously, I realize that I need to provide
> the root password to configure some things, but there doesn't seem to be
> any way to do it.

You are just not understanding that polkit-kde and polkit-gnome are just
interfaces to polkit, and the problem you have seems related with polkit, and
I still don't understand it.

> So, IIUC, there is no way to configure Login Manager in KDE-4.3 and this
> issue will not be fixed till KDE-4.4.  It is not easy to use KDE-4.3
> when you can't log in!

You actually can, you just need to launch the kcm module for kdm as root. And
as long as you don't want to configure the visual part, you don't even need
it. It's since 4.0 we're in this situation.

Again, I really don't know what you are talking about. I think you should
document yourself on what polkit is and does if you want to start tracking
eventual problems. Otherwise, you should just wait for 4.4 for a complete
integration in the KDE programs.