List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: finding the unloved
From:       KSU <ksu257 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2009-06-06 20:51:24

Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> Heya folks :)
>
> I am trying to find those parts of KDE that do not have someone to
> take care of them as well as those that are very much in need of
> help. The goal is to find people in the end who are interested in
> them. Please let me know here or offlist.

With many thanks Lydia:

I presume that you are looking for major things rather than small rough
edges that need polishing, although I have always though that that is
important.

The part of KDE-4 that is most unloved in KPrinter.  In fact, there was
so little support for it that it was canceled. :-(  I have ideas about
how this should work, if anyone is interested.

It appears that KImgIO only supports 1 of 3 Jpeg2000 file types.  The
file with the extension "jp2" works while "j2k" and "jpc" don't.  Yes,
this sounds like a bug, but I wonder if this is a general issue that
KImgIO needs some love for less common image formats.  I note that
ImageMagick will display these so this probably isn't difficult and the
code can be borrowed.

Perhaps the same is true of previewing RAW digital camera files.  I find
that KDE-4 apps do not open NEF (Nikon RAW) files but rather extract the
thumbnail file.  So, someone needs to work on this for various RAW
formats.  Some samples are available here:

http://www.glasslantern.com/RAWpository/

I note that to just display the images (rather than opening them for
modification) that a half resolution preview option would be useful for
all Bayer CFA formats.

There are still common Panel applets that are missing from KDE-4.  I
specifically don't find: "Bookmarks", "Settings", & "Window List".

I read somewhere that the Plasma Digital Clock code needed work (perhaps
that has been done).  All I see is that you can't set the font and font
size for the date.

And, I have seen it discussed that there is a need for a very simple
application to "just look at" image, video, audio, and (perhaps) other
files -- although this needs the tools to view them (e.g. images need:
flip H & V, rotate CW & CCW, invert, zoom to value, zoom + & -, zoom
100%, fit best, fit V, fit H, Gamma, brightness, contrast) but no
editing, modification functions or feature bloat -- although stepping
through a directory is useful.

--
KSU