List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasmate Proposal - added some changes and screenshots
From:       Alexander Dymo <alexander.dymo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-02 10:03:13

On Thursday 02 April 2009 03:45:53 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 April 2009, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > We could come up with a common code to work with Git repository
>
> this would be wonderful; we've had a hard time finding anything pre-made
> that fits our needs (virtually everything we've found so far is incomplete
> in some fashion). i plan to look at the Qt Creator code next, though ...

We already have a working code, but it's also not complete. It's also not a
shared lib or something, so there's a lot effort yet to be paid there. Still,
having one completed git integration code would be really beneficial.

> i think that the idea of automatically revision controlling documents is
> something that would make a lot of sense for many applications out there.

I thought about this as well. Eclipse has something like this, but they have
their own "vcs" implementation. We could get away with git. Say, we can always
create a repository every time somebody creates a project. We can silently
commit changes every time user saves the document and so forth.

> > I also see you want to support Ruby and Python. Sooner or later you'll
> > want to have the parser at least to get the list of classes/methods. Here
> > we (KDevelop and Plasma teams) can help each other actually.
>
> yes, i'd love to be able to just use the code completion framework being
> used in kdevelop. i've been watching Dave's blogs on it, and it's really
> impressive stuff. i have no desire to reimplement even 1/10th of that code
> :)

Yeah :) There are already ~3 years of work behind the duchain and language
support infrastructure in KDevelop. I really doubt any other open source
project can easily repeat this.

Having said that, most of the time we focused on general infrastructure and
C++. Ruby is working but is really rudimentary. Python was a subject of GSoC
project and we got a good implementation, but it's largely unmaintained now. I
plan to push Ruby during our KDevelop Team meeting in April. Python needs
somebody to pick it up.

PS: in any case, any of these (git, language support) will matter for you
after you have other more important stuff implemented for PlasMate, so just
keep in touch with us for now ;)