List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Activities and the Task Manager
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-13 9:15:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 12 March 2009 19:53:34 Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:20:21 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Its not a bug, as activities are separate from desktops. The pager
> > > applet switches desktops, and the task manager can also be configured
> > > to only show programs from the current desktop.
> >
> > Hi, Trever.  I don't understand.  I'm not talking about the pager applet,
> > but Activities, accessed through the cashew.  FWIW I do have the task
> > manager set to only display tasks from the current desktop, but, as you
> > say, Activities are not a different desktop.  When I move to Activity2 I
> > see the widgets that belong to that activity, but I also see task manager
> > displaying the open applications on the other Activity.  That doesn't
> > seem sensible to me.
> >

> applications are not per activity. they are per desktop. so the behavior
> you are seeing is correct, IMHO.

Hmmm - there is a lot of confusion about desktops and Activities.  I was
rather under the impression that desktops are old world and Activities are new
world, so that desktops as such would become redundant.

All I've read suggests that when you change Activity you leave behind the
'world' of your other Activity.  I believe it was Sebas who gave me the quote
on http://userbase.kde.org/Glossary#Activities, and Irina's blog at
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi/wireless_life/applications/activity.html
gives the same impression.  If your 'working day' activity follows you to your
'leisure time' Activity that's hardly going to help you relax.

Maybe this is what Irina had in mind when she wrote "Sometimes it's useful to
change activities "from under" something that's open, sometimes I'd like my
files, web pages etcetera to stay in their cage (note to self: find someone's,
I think Aaron's, instructions on assigning an activity to a desktop or vice
versa; it might just do the trick)."  And maybe I also need to look for that
blog.

Anne