List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Non-wrapped dialogs (KMessageBox)
From:       Harald Hvaal <haraldhv () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2009-03-03 3:51:03

Hi there

I have a rather small screen, and it has surprised me when error/info messages
appear with no wordwrapping, but rather elided with the whole middle of the
message cut out. It could be a long descriptive message, and yet almost all of
the main body is lost.

I was surprised when I saw it first (in kmail), and thought it was a problem
with the application used it, but it was when I discovered it in my own app
(ark) that I was most surprised. The class I use is KMessageBox. Here is the
code:

KMessageBox::sorry(NULL, i18n("Ark was not able to open the archive '%1'. No
library capableof handling the file was found.", localFilePath()), i18n("Error
opening archive"));

And the dialog displayed on my screen has been attached to as an image.
Am I doing something wrong here? There doesn't seem to be any option letting
me manually set wrapping of messages.

Does all the developers have too large screens to notice a problem such as
this? Or is it a configuration problem?

--
Harald Hvaal
haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no