List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question regarding KFileDialog (KDE4)
From:       Jonathan Marten <jjm2 () keelhaul ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-27 7:43:10

Stefan Majewsky <majewsky@gmx.net> writes:
> What about extending the syntax of the kfiledialog: pseudo protocol to
> "kfiledialog:///keyword/suggestedName.ext"? As long as this does not clash
> with source compatibility, this could be an alternative to polluting the
> KFileDialog class namespace.

Changing the protocol syntax like that was exactly my plan - it would
be compatible with existing source unless any currently used keyword
contained a slash (not very likely).

Adding a new method wouldn't be BIC (static functions only), but all
of the static KFileDialog functions would either have to be overloaded
or have an additional parameter added - very messy.  So I doubt that
that would be accepted into kdelibs at this stage.

So as long as "changing the interpretation of a parameter" is not
considered to be an API change, extending the kfiledialog: URL syntax
should be the better way.

I'll work on a patch.

Regards,
  Jonathan