List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Question regarding KFileDialog (KDE4)
From:       Jonathan Marten <jjm2 () keelhaul ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-26 14:04:28

Hello all,

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to have tried to do this, or
have worked around it.  But I'd be interested to know if there is a
standard way to achieve what would seem to be "the right thing" from
an application.

Especially for saving, there doesn't seem to be any way, using the
static functions in KFileDialog, to specify both a "last used starting
directory" and a "suggested file name".  There is the 'startDir'
parameter, and this can be "kfiledialog:///keyword" to specify the the
saved location keyword, but using this option there is no way to
specify a suggested file name.  Or this parameter can be the suggested
file name, but in this case there is no way to specify a saved
location keyword.  Or it can be a full URL, specifying a directory and
filename, but in this case there is no support for the saved location
keyword.

So an application which tries to remember its save location, for example
extragear/base/konq-plugins/webarchiver/plugin_webarchiver.cpp, saves
the last-used-directory itself in its config file.  This works, but
defeats the purpose of having the KFileDialog keyword support.  Having
every application doing its own thing can't be good for coding
consistency, if nothing else.  krecentdirs.h is not installed, so I
assume that this class is intended for internal use by kfile only.

The other option seems to be to explicitly create a KFileDialog
instead of using the static functions, then the keyword can be
specified in the constructor and the suggested file name set with
setSelection().  But in this case, there's no point having the more
convenient static functions.

I've had some thoughts about how this (apparent) anomaly could be
fixed, but would just like to confirm that I haven't missed anything
first...

Regards,
  Jonathan

--