List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Plasma::DataEngine not automatically updating
From:       Shantanu Jha <jhahoneyk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-18 18:28:53

I noticed that The System Monitor - Network applet did not
automatically updated its network interface list, i.e. if I connect a
dial-up modem, the interface ppp0 is not shown in the applet's
settings. However, if the applet is restarted, the list is updated.
I've examined the source (
kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/system-monitor/net.cpp ) and found
that it uses "systemmonitor" as the data engine, and whenever a call
to engine()->sources() is made ( in the function
SM::Net::parseSources() ), the list returned back doesn't contain
"ppp0", if the interface was connected after the applet was started.
This means that the data engine is not getting properly updated.
Further, there are no public member functions of Plasma::DataEngine
which can force a update/refresh.
So, is this a bug in the DataEngine or am I missing something?
I am using Kubuntu 8.10 with latest kde svn trunk build. Thanks in advance,

--
Shantanu Tushar
http://www.shantanutushar.com