List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Standard File Requester"
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-02 15:50:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 01 February 2009 12:16:32 Michael Leupold wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009 13:06:05 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Hi Anne,
> > >
> > > Yes, there are three separate bookmark files, one for your Web
> > > bookmarks, one for your Places bookmarks, and one for your File
> > > bookmarks.
> > >
> > > The File bookmarks appear to be used in all the file dialogs for all
> > > applications, and are saved in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfile/bookmarks.xml
> > >
> > > The web bookmarks that you see in Konqueror are saved in
> > > ~/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> > >
> > > The Places bookmarks are saved in
> > > ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml
> >
> > OK.  Exploring this a bit further.  A bookmark created in dolphin Places
> > has the line '<OnlyInApp>dolphin</OnlyInApp>'.  If this were commented
> > out, would it make that bookmark available to other applications?  It
> > doesn't sound likely if other applications are reading
> > ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfile/bookmarks.xml, but I don't see any other
> > explanation. I'm reluctant to experiment too much until I understand a
> > bit more about how things work.
>
> If you edit the place you can set it to be used in all applications and not
> just Dolphin (just right-click -> edit). On my system that's even the
> default. Like that the places show up in the file dialog as well.

I've added all the extra information to the Dolphin page at
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management.  I'd be grateful if one of
you could spare a minute or two to scan it and make sure that I haven't said
anything disastrously wrong :-)

Then I'll go away and stop pestering you for a bit :-)

Anne