List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Development with Mono/C#
From:       Maik Beckmann <beckmann.maik () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-02 7:14:59

Am Montag, 1. Dezember 2008 schrieb Arno Rehn:
> Getting Plasmoids with Get Hot New Stuff. Each C++ plasmoid you download,
> you have to compile on your specific distribution or hope someone built a
> package for it. C# (and all the scripting languages) are platform
> independent, so it's possible to get them with Get Hot New Stuff (which
> will make most of the users that aren't familiar with compiling stuff happy
> :))

The mayor language with managed garbage and virtual machine (compile once, run
everywhere) is Java.  From my C++ coder POV these two languages are so similar
that I fail to see why it's worth to risk getting into patent issues with MS.

The only big advantage of C# is that it's part of the CLI family.  This isn't
of any value for non MS platforms.

Greetings,
 -- Maik