List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guidance porting to KDE 4
From:       Scott Kitterman <ubuntu () kitterman ! com>
Date:       2008-11-16 19:10:21

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:35:27 -0500 "Yuriy Kozlov"
<yuriy-kozlov@kubuntu.org> wrote:
>displayconfig is now replaced by kcmrandr, hopefully.  (Is that using
>this Kephal library?)  The latter still needs work, and taking some of
>the interface from displayconfig might be a good idea, but the backend
>of displayconfig is outdated now, as ScottK can attest to after trying
>to fix it up for Hardy.  However, there are also some features in
>displayconfig other than resolution setting and such that are
>currently not covered in KDE modules AFAIK, like gamma settings.
>displayconfig also had display power settings, which system settings
>already has, but is that taken care of by powerdevil now (in 4.2)?

Redoing the displayconfig back end to work with xrandr and modern
xorg.conf'less systems is a critical piece.  I don't see significant value
in a KDE4 port of displayconfig.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like many of the currently missing
bits in the kcmrandr tool have been added in 4.2.

Guidance power manager still works pretty well (that's been ported
already).  It could stand some re-enginnering on the back end as I don't
think it's entirely in synch with modern hal/dbus magic.

AFAIK, the Kubuntu plan for 9.04 is to switch to powerdevil.

Scott K