List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Folder previes in Dolphin
From:       "Jesse L. Zamora" <xtremek2008 () aim ! com>
Date:       2008-11-16 23:04:46

On Sunday 16 November 2008 13:30:19 Peter Penz wrote:

> Yes, having different icon sets is a problem by its own. But I think the
> real difficult part is the synchronization of the preview cache and the
> content of the folder: We cannot create the preview on-the-fly when
> entering a directory, as this would mean that we'd have to parse each sub
> directory and create 4 previews for each sub directory, which would lead to
> an unacceptable performance. Providing a cache and storing the preview e.
> g. inside the .directory file  would introduce the problem when the cache
> should by synchronized with a possible changed directory content.

Well, actually, I wonder if it wouldn't be too bad to create a multithreaded
implementation that loads the previews into the cache without disturbing
whatever the user is doing, and then just showing it once it has loaded.

> - which 4 from n pictures should be used as preview?

It could be a random number, even though I would want it to choose every n/4
pictures or something like that.

> - what should happen when having small folder icons?

Then the folder previews would not be shown.

> - what should happen with directories having e. g. only text files? A
> preview of the text files in the folder? Or should just pictures be
> handled?

I believe it only need to show pictures, because the text file previews would
be too tiny to be readily visible. In the case of text files, then it would
just indicate on the folder icon that text files are inside, sorta like in
KDE3.