List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Folder previes in Dolphin
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-16 19:02:19

> - what should happen with directories having e. g. only text files?
> A preview of the text files in the folder? Or should just pictures be handled?

I would suggest only showing actual previews for images to keep
things simple.  For other file types I think it would be more useful
to display the
mimetype icons for the most common filetypes in that folder.  Text previews as
they are currently implemented are not very useful because you cannot read the
text easily and the font used to render them isn't aesthetically
pleasing either.

For example, if I have a folder consisting of:

- 13 ODF word documents
- 13 PDFs (of the above documents)
- 2 images
- 1 spreadsheet

Then I would suggest showing the mimetype icons for ODF text and PDF on the
folder, ignoring the images and spreadsheet.

> - what should happen when having small folder icons?

Perhaps switch off previews below a certain (largish) size and revert to small
mimetype icons instead.  Then below another pre-determined size turn off preview
hints altogether.

> - which 4 from n pictures should be used as preview?

That could get quite interesting.  The simple thing would be to pick 4
images at random.  A better approach
would be to rank the images based on some simple metrics and make previews
for the 4 highest-scoring ones:

- Aspect ratio (where a high score is given to images with a typical
photo aspect
ratio like 4:3 and a low score to very thin or very wide images)
- Date of last modification (higher score for recently modified images)
- Size (higher score for larger images)

Regards,
Robert.