List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma taking 30% of CPU
From:       Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-07 15:52:24

Tom Albers wrote:
> Op vrijdag 07 november 2008 00:44 schreef u:
> > On Thursday 06 November 2008 19:49:25 Emmanuel Briot wrote:
> > > download.opensuse.org/repositories  that say
> > > KDE 4.1.72 (KDE 4.2 >= 20081104)
> > >
> > > If I start a new KDE session, and do nothing else, Plasma is taking 30%
> > > of my CPU forever (or at least as long as I could wait).
> > >
> > > I tried removing ~/.kde4 altogether, and the same behavior happens.
> > >
> > > I understand the above is not enough information for the developers,
> > > and my question is: what extra information could I provide to help fix
> > > this issue ?
> > > That basically makes plasma unusable on my machine, and I have to kill
> > > it and use gnome-panel to get a panel. Ugh.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any information you could send
> > >
> > > regards
> > > Emmanuel

> > same here with KDE 4.1.3 on OpenSuse 11.0 + Nvidia
>
> Same here with 4.1.2 on OpenSuse. I asked stephen binner and he told me they have \
> back ported the system tray rewrite to 4.1.2 branch. I would really love to have my \
> sytemtray back, I've now disabled that to be able to work normally.

On the bug report, there is a mention of an icon not being positioned
correctly (covering the clock?) which is what will be causing the above
issue. It's essentially a repaint loop that I got when developing as
well - whenever there were positioning issues. I'll post something on
review board in the next day or two to detect and prevent these loops.
Of course, that's only half the issue though.

--
Jason Stubbs