List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: resurrecting kwrited
From:       "George Kiagiadakis" <kiagiadakis.george () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-14 11:16:12

2008/10/13 Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi@kde.org>:
>> Also, this slotData() doesn't do anything different, it just uses
>> read(2) to read data into a buffer.
>>
> ****** huh?

I think I get the point now, that kconsole class does exactly the same
job as kwrited but with a different terminal device. What I don't get
is, do I have to revert that commit and use the read system call
directly? Isn't there another way? That's probably bad, but well, I'll
do it.

>> > 7f8825dff376b5df7f5fbd8afa298a29f7084d04
>> > - hmpf. this is bad bad bad. oh, well.
>>
>> Why? kwrited is completely useless without libutempter and it justs
>> wastes memory.
>>
> yes, but it should not be. you realized that, after all. :)

I know, but in case we don't build kwrited as an executable, it's
better not to build it at all. This commit of course applies only to
the master branch, not to the no-utempter branch.

>> I did not write any cmake code to setgid kwrited as I couldn't find
>> how to do chown from cmake.
>>
> kworkspace/kcheckpass/

Thanks, fixed now.

Other news now. I dropped the textedit and only knotify is used. That
reduces a lot the memory footprint of kwrited if it is built as an
executable, but still I can't get rid of kdeui as KNotification lives
in kdeui... :( (why is that, btw?) The repository now only has two
branches, master and no-utempter. Their only difference is that the
no-utempter branch includes building kwrited as an executable and
installing it with setgid.

Tell me if I need to fix something else. Btw, does anybody have an
idea what those items in the TODO comment in kwrited.cpp mean? I think
they are pretty useless... Here:
/* TODO
   for anyone who likes to do improvements here, go ahead.
   - check FIXMEs below
   - add Menu
     - accept messages (on/off)
     - pop up on incoming messages