List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New... in application launcher
From:       "R.F. Pels" <ruurd () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2008-10-09 15:10:25

On Thu 9 October 2008 16.54.11 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> [plasma-devel would be the right list]
>
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 09:22:32 R.F. Pels wrote:
> > Is there anything special that needs to be done if I would like to add a
> > tab to the application launcher that holds New... entries? The idea being
> > that it is easy to create new documents/files/whatnot from the
> > application launcher...
>
> Hm, nice idea. Not sure if that wouldn't clutter up kickoff too much,
> though. How about having a runner for KRunner that reacts to the keyword
> 'new' and offers all kinds of document types (and their default app opening
> with an empty new document)?

Hah. Two good ideas.

Or, while we're at it, add a right-click on an application that lets you
choose for a new document or open a document, that is, if you select an
application in the launcher and then do not click but context-click it, it
offers you the possibility to create a new document and it also offers you the
possibility to open documents supported by that application... quick example,
only offer .odt and .kwd files when using the open option for KWord...

That way we would reduce clutter and still be able to offer that option.

Would we need an extension on the standard that describes .desktop for such a
thing? OTOH, it should be possible to derive the types of documents an
application supports from the data we already have, the only possible problem
is it might be necessary to add switches to the command line.

--
R.F. Pels,          Boogerd 1, 1791 GW  Den Burg, Texel, The Netherlands
+31612914545        ruurd@kdemail.net      http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd