List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole feature suggestion
From:       Karthik Paithankar <molecularbiophysics () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-10-08 22:42:56

Hi Robert,

Thanks for mailing.

> I could so this but I think this is a feature which is much
> better to
> have in the shell itself,
> preferably in a way which is easy and obvious to access.

The reason I would prefer it in GUI is some of my students use a variety of shells \
(both for learning and curiosity).

> In the meantime there are some shell features that you can
> use to make
> life easier,
> frankly they suck but its better than nothing:

Agree.

> - Set the CDPATH environment variable to include the parent
> of
> directories that you need to
> access frequently, eg. I define 'export
> CDPATH=$PATH_TO_MY_KDE_SOURCES' and I can then
Once again this is a bit static. I have different projects/machines NFS/sshfs mounted \
it is a bit not so easy.

Also
1. a _big_ advantage of GUI would be opening any number of new Konsole sessions and \
jump directly to a dir without having to type much (I am lazy).

2. For example, if "Shell 1" is localhost with certain directory and open another tab \
"Shell 2" and I login(ssh) to another machine (faster CPU/RAM/ my server/ cluster) \
and want to go the same directory "A recent folders option" would mean I can jump \
there easily - (irrespective of shell or even *nix - in general)

3. The used frequently list might also help in reminding what folders I was working \
recently...

Many thanks for reading.

Best regards,
Karthik

PS: Sorry Robert, I forgot to CC to list.