List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole feature suggestion
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-08 15:23:58

Hi Karthik,

I could so this but I think this is a feature which is much better to
have in the shell itself,
preferably in a way which is easy and obvious to access.

In the meantime there are some shell features that you can use to make
life easier,
frankly they suck but its better than nothing:

- Use pushd and popd to store the current path on a stack or revisit a
previously stored path.  The fish
shell also has prevd and nextd commands.
- Set the CDPATH environment variable to include the parent of
directories that you need to
access frequently, eg. I define 'export
CDPATH=$PATH_TO_MY_KDE_SOURCES' and I can then jump
to any of the modules (eg. 'kdebase', 'kdelibs', 'kdegraphics') from
anywhere by typing in 'cd $MODULE_NAME'
- Define alias variables to jump to directories quickly (eg. 'alias
cdsrc = cd $PATH_TO_MY_PROJECTS_SOURCE')

Regards,
Robert.