List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How should the version field in BTS be used?
From:       Pino Toscano <toscano.pino () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2008-09-24 23:23:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

> I was under the impression that when you are able to reproduce a bug
> in a newer version, you should, if possible, bump the version of the
> component it was filed against.

No, just most probably leave a comment saying "can(not) reproduce with version
x.y.z".

> Personally, I think my way makes more sense as it helps to prevent
> bug rot.

Version field usually means "which version was the bug reported against?",
that turns to developer's "when the bug/regression appeared?", that is a
*much* useful information to know.

Keeping the only Version field as "I can reproduce it with this version"
completely defeats its point, because there are two possible scenarios:
a) bug can be reproduced -> is open for a reason, then
b) bug cannot be reproduced -> should be closed (after a couple or so releases
when people cannot reproduce it anymore) as either
FIXED/WORKSFORME/INVALID/etc.
and as you can see, none of them really require a version field like that.

--
Pino Toscano