List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 9:23:45

Hi Luciano Montanaro,

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM, macintoshzoom
> <macintoshzoom@lavabit.com> wrote:
>
>> BUT Konqueror was unable to tell me about that, this is an issue to me.
>> When requesting Konqueror about used space (properties) of each folder
>> it doesn't recognize that there are some GB of space that are not really
>> occupied, but only are from the same file but hard linked to different
>> subfolders.
>
> The problem is that you cannot tell two file entries are actually the
> same file unless you look at both entries and compare the inodes. To
> tag hard-linked files, konqueror would have to scan the whole
> filesystem.

To make konqueror regularly or by demand "scan the whole filesystem" is
possible? Is that a hard task? I have a porwerful box, and I'm not
afraid about hard tasks.
Do you know about a command or script clue for konqueror to do this job?

> Whit 'ls' you can ask to see the inode number associated with the
> file, and thus you could determine if two file entries point to the
> same blocks; Konqueror does not have a way to display the information,
> not even in the detailed view; but that information is rarely needed.

Yes it's rarely needed, as many other things that are anyway already
implemented for a total control of what happens in your system.

> For your particular case, I suggest you trust your distribution to do
> the sensible thing, and use the package manager to remove unneeded
> packages.

Yes I trust my OpenBSD, but not blindly.
I am building an OpenBSD-KDE distro.
And I want to know why it's storing those GB files hard-linked to
different subfolders (in such way that I can't know via standard KDE
tools what is the real space left free on my box, that this is YES a
matter of issue for me.
I am already dealing about this on OpenBSD mail lists (ports), but they
don't really care too much about Konqueror or KDE to control your
system, but KDE users YES are confident on the KDE power to entirely
deal with its own system, so I (we?) must to fix this matter.

Mac.