List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 9:08:21

Hi John Tapsell,.

You rocks!

John Tapsell wrote:
>> BUT Konqueror was unable to tell me about that, this is an issue to me.
>> When requesting Konqueror about used space (properties) of each folder
>> it doesn't recognize that there are some GB of space that are not really
>> occupied, but only are from the same file but hard linked to different
>> subfolders.
>
> Yes, this is a bug that could be fixed.  Keep a hash of the inodes
> when checking the total used disk space.

Could you tell me how I can "keep a hash of the inodes"? to try to
implement a servicemenu or some script.

>> My clue and idea:
>> Konqueror, via a plugin or the like, or enabling this feature somewhere
>> in a settings menu, could AT LEAST check for duplicate # inode numbered
>> files and mark them with a specific icon, similar as the soft links or so.
>
> A simple icon for when the number of inodes is greater than 1 - should
> be straightforward to do.

I would like to do it, any clues?

>> And tools as kwikdisk, kdiskfree, kdirstat and the like must also inform
>> the user about this.
>
> Yes probably each of these could be fixed.

I would like to do it, any clues?

>> Question:
>> If I delete one (from konqueror su) of this "duplicate hard linked"
>> files, will I get back my free space
>
> No.  The dialog box could warn the user of this, but it might be
> difficult to present and explain this information in a friendly way.

Yeeees, a dialog to inform about this!. To explain the info, yes, a bit
difficult, but it must be done, its just a literature matter, perhaps
showing also link-s to man:/ln or a custom help page or wiki page for
this question.

>> will all the hard linked files
>> with the same # inode be deleted at the same time?
> No

OK

>> Or Have i to delete them one per one?
> Yes/

OK

>> When I delete the original file that is soft linked somewhere else, the
>> soft links doesn't work anymore.
>
> Right.  That's the difference between soft links and hard links.

  OK

Thanks John Tapsell, you seem to know what you are you talking about,
May I ask what is your role in KDE?

Mac.