List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build instructions on KDE TechBase for 4.x release or BRANCH
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-28 21:06:42

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Someone screwed up this Wiki page:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x#Required_packages_from_your_distribution
>
> I do not own this page despite that fact that I wrote most of it.
> However, I wanted to note that the changes were not consistent so as a
> result, following the directions would NOT work.
>
> Now, I need to add content for the dependencies for KDE-4.1.x.
>
> KDEsupport contains a lot of stuff.  Are all these required:
>
> 	akonadi

I forget what akonadi is (yeah, shame on me ;-) ) but IIRC you want it.

> 	eigen
> 	eigen2

Ah, I think eigen is going away, but for 4.1 I think only eigen is
wanted and eigen2 can be safely ignored for 4.1 (but best check with
Benoît Jacob).

> 	taglib

I think you can do without taglib if you don't care about the music
library stuff (but really, if you want to build multimedia and/or
amarok, you want taglib)

> 	soprano

Same as the comment on akonadi.

> 	qimageblitz
> 	phonon

These two are needed, yes, though I forget what all is using blitz. No
sound w/o phonon :-).

> 	cpptoxml

Um, this is either not needed, or needed for tons of dbus stuff :-). But
I think I was not building it for the longest time and getting by...

I don't see telepathy/tapioca/decibel; these do something for Kopete
(though I don't know exactly what features they provide). And of course
automoc is *crucial*, but maybe you aren't listing things you know are
needed ;-).

That said, for stable it's probably best to use distro packages of all
of the above, when possible.

--
Matthew
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no