List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GRUB Configuration Application/KCModule
From:       Konstantinos Smanis <kon.smanis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-12 12:08:36

Hi all,

I am developing a GRUB Configuration application, named KGRUBEditor
(http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KGRUBEditor?content=75442)

Since I moved this application from Qt4->KDE4 libs, I frequently had requests
to integrate it in System Settings (thus, create a KCModule out of it).
However, there is no counterpart for the other Desktop Enviroments (mainly
GNOME) and this is the reason I have been sticking with the application for a
while (asking a GNOME user to install kdebase just for this utility wouldn't
be very polite, right? - they seem to tolerate kdelibs more :) So, I decided
that until some GNOME guy decides to write a gtk counterpart, I will have to
develop the application and on every release, turn the application into a
KCModule.

Consequently, I just want some advice about what I should do to make this
KApplication->KCModule conversion easier. Is it somehow possible to make the
UI "portable" so that it could fit both on the KCModule and the KApplication?
Some KParts magic maybe? I have never used KParts or something like this
earlier, so all I ask for is to point me towards a direction and hopefully I
will find out what I should do.

Thank you in advance,
	Konstantinos Smanis

PS: The application makes no use of toolbars/menubar and the functions which
KCModule require to subclass ( load(),save(),defaults() ) exist already in the
application (differently named but all I want to say is that the functionality
is already there).