List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question: New features in KDE 4.1
From:       Kristian_Kißling <kkissling () linuxnewmedia ! de>
Date:       2008-07-28 9:13:13

Daniel Winter schrieb folgendes am 28.07.2008 03:44:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 15:17:15 Kristian Kißling wrote:
>
>> So I thought I might do an experiment and ask you as Devs, what you
>> think are the most important changes between 4.0.x and upcoming 4.1
>> that users will  a) experience directly or b) indirectly (like Akonadi).
>> Of course I'll study the changelogs too, but I'm also curious to hear
>> your thoughts...
>>

> Hi,

Hi Daniel,

thanks for answering :)

> well, you may want to look in the official release annoncement which will be up
> soon.

Yes, I read the release notes from Alpha to Beta to RC already and use
KDE from Trunk, but was more interested
in the personal thoughts of developers  - but early adopters are welcome
too, of course ;)

> 1. The huge improvements in plasma.  For me that are the most important
> change. Plasma is very stable now.  And has a lot of new configure options.
> (you can finaly move the applets in the panel)

Ok, thanks for the feedback

> And the very nice folder view plasma applet. A  new way to use the desktop.

Yeah, I guess most people will appreciate that...

> 2. kde-pim (kmail and the like) are back with KDE 4.1
>
> 3. A lot of other small new features and config options.
>
> 4. A lot of bugfixes.
>
> 5. It is avaible for Windows and OS X too. (may not be that important for a
> linux magazine)
>

> One thing you may want to include in the article (or maybe somewhere else in
> the magazine) are the problems with some (or most?) of the nvidia graphic
> cards KDE 4 and linux in general (firefox3 for example has also problems).
>
> That to prevent disappointed users of kde 4 (yes it is slow for example on
> 8600m-gt gpus). But also to link to some tipps (they are at the moment
> collected in the techbase.kde.org wiki) to improve the performence (although
> at least on my 8600m-gt they do not really help).

Good Point, I will mention that.

Thanks
Kristian

> Maybe it will also help others when they plan to buy a new laptop (or graphics
> card for their desktop) not to choose nvidia graphics at the moment when they
> plan to use kde 4 or linux in general.
>
> For information and an official statement of Nvidia on that issue look in the
> nvnews forum.
>
> DanielW

Kristian Kißling, Redakteur
Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Straße 71, 81739 München, Germany
kkissling@linuxnewmedia.de - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de

Linux New Media - The Pulse of Open Source
Malaga - Manchester - München - Sao Paulo - Timisoara - Warszawa