List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Guide
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2008-07-23 19:45:57

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 10:48:38 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 18:19:52 David Johnson wrote:
> > A while ago there was some talk about creating a user guide to all the
> > new stuff in KDE. Has this made any progress?
>
> Yes, work has started.  However, we would love to have some suggestions of
> specific needs.

This morning I was reading a random page on PlanetKDE, about the GSoC extender
project, and had to backtrack several entries to find out what an extender
was. As this is a cool new feature, I started thinking about all the other
cool new features that I know nothing at all about. That avalanched into
thinking about the new KDE4 jargon, new services with funny names, all those
plugins for krunner, etc.

> You may like to start with http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Glossary.
>
> This may or may not be the final format, but I think you'll find most of
> the 'jargon' there, together with some useful references.

It's missing some terms. For example, "containment". To me that brings to mind
the stuff they did at Chernobyl when they poured tons of concrete all over
the reactor. Also, the "extender" mentioned above.

p.s. The "widget" entry needs to be improved. Widgets are have one meaning in
X11/Qt, and another in Plasma, neither one of which have much relation to the
entry.

--
David Johnson