List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Guide
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-23 17:48:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 18:19:52 David Johnson wrote:
> A while ago there was some talk about creating a user guide to all the new
> stuff in KDE. Has this made any progress?

Yes, work has started.  However, we would love to have some suggestions of
specific needs.

> KDE4 will have many new paradigms, but being new, they will not be
> familiar. The developers working on these may imagine them to be totally
> obvious, but they are not. Thus, I think a guide of some kind will be very
> useful. Something more than a quick overview, but not a set of handbooks
> either. It may seem obvious to you, but it won't be to many people. It
> would also be great if all the new names and jargon was in it too.

You may like to start with http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Glossary.

This may or may not be the final format, but I think you'll find most of
the 'jargon' there, together with some useful references.

You may also find http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=End%20User%20FAQ
helpful.

I've been holding off giving out these urls to mailing lists, to give time for
the devs to sanity-check them.

If you have any clear ideas of what sort of guide you think would help, please
tell us about them.

Anne