List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: My top 3 KDE4 requests
From:       "A.J. Venter" <aj.venter () datacash ! co ! za>
Date:       2008-07-18 6:16:40

On Thursday 17 July 2008 22:58, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:01:38PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > a kubuntu packaging mistake though
> >
> > it is. i know they are trying hard right now, but the kubuntu packages
> > are really not great yet.
>
> ?  What's the mistake?  folderview is in kdeplasma-addons, install
> that and you'll get it.  It's even explicitly mentioned on our RC 1
> webpage.

It wasn't when I installed it  - I know because I had the page open at the
time as KDE4 is so full of new stuff that I wanted to make sure I didn't make
a mistake.
The mistake though is that I think it SHOULD be in the core plasma package, it
has become such a fundamental plasmoid that I cannot see how it could be
different. It is certainly a lot more needed than most of what IS in the core
package. Analog clock and the twitter client are in there, both of which we
already have better programs for that come standard with kubuntu. But KDE4.1
without folderview leaves you with a desktop that is virtually unusable for
most people.
Especially since a HUGE amount of the news people have been reading about
KDE4.1 have been about just how great it is (and it IS great - I would say
it's getting close to being the 4.1 killer feature, the one that makes 4.1 so
much better than 3.x that people will switch just for that).

I haven't compared the kubuntu packages with any others, I was just trying to
give useful feedback, I use kubuntu because it's the only KDE desktop distro
with an up-to-date AMD64 version that is FAST on my hardware (Fedora crawls
like like you cannot believe topping out at an average 90% CPU and that's
with XFCE - kde4 was completely unusable - while Kubuntu runs as smooth as
silk). So I am not trying to diss kubuntu, my wife's machines run PCLOS as I
truly believe it's a more polished distro but it doesn't have 64bit support
and even if it did, I want to play (and sooner rather than later work) with
KDE4 and Kubuntu actually supports that. Right now it is the distro I choose
to use on a day-to-day basis, so when I am critical it is hopefully in a
CONSTRUCTIVE way.
I am making a suggestion as somebody who maintained a KDE distro with a 90%
first-time-computer-user base for 6 years and learned a little something
about how people think and what they expect. I may be wrong, but surely I
would be failing to contribute at all if I didn't at least mention what I
thought ?

Anyway, I am just trying to avoid a flamewar happening because I mentioned
that folderview is not in the default install on kubuntu and that I don't
know if this is a general or a kubuntu packaging decision - but that it IS a
decision I think should change.

Ciao
A.J.

--
AJ Venter
Linux System Administrator

Tel (direct): +44 (0)20 7421 4520
Mobile: +27 (0)83 455 9978

DataCash Ltd, Descartes House,
8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Tel:  +44 (0)870 7274 761
Fax: +44 (0)870 7274 781

www.datacash.com

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to
DataCash Group plc and its group companies. It is intended only for the
person to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error,
please forward it to info@datacash.com with the subject line "Received in
Error". If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
copy, print, distribute or rely on this email or any transmitted files.
DataCash Ltd is registered in England and Wales no. 3430157. DataCash Ltd is
part of the DataCash Group plc. DataCash Group plc is registered in England
and Wales no. 3168091. DataCash Ltd and DataCash Group plc registered address
is Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Save a tree...Please only print this page if essential