List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 graphics tweaks page
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-14 18:47:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 July 2008, koos vriezen wrote:
> Somehow this makes me sad. I mean if we know that certain version of
> xservers are known to perform badly on some operations, shouldn't this
> be in some blacklist, and simply disable the operation in question (or
> at least warned upon enabling such a feature).

i'd prefer it if the vendors improved their drivers. the only way that will
happen is if there are real world apps stressing these issues out there in
production.

the fact that there wasn't up until now is why the drivers have all these
weaknesses still.

the driver writers have shown pretty conclusively that unless there is a good
reason, e.g. applications in use, to provide support for they won't do the
work necessary to improve those features. and that sort of makes sense: why
invest in something nobody uses?

we already do things like ask the driver if it supports argb and if it does we
trust it.

if we try and blacklist based on card-and-driver combinations, we'll give
driver writers an excuse not to work on these features (which we really do
need to provide the best possible experience) and we'll still miss certain
combinations.

intel's drivers work well, so it can be done.

nvidia has shown that when an issue appears in a real world application, they
will try and fix things. they've already fixed a few things for plasma
specifically.

i hope the same is true for amd/ati, though i don't have quite as good
contacts there to know for sure.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se