List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 and the nvidia driver
From:       Thomas Holzmann <holzi1 () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-07-13 17:21:32

Pierre schrieb:
> On Saturday 12 July 2008 23:51:14 Michael Leupold wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> so far I've been reluctant to use KDE4 as my main desktop because the
>> performance was pretty sloppy due to my nvidia 8600 GTS. Fortunately I've
>> stumbled on some instructions on how to improve performance using those
>> cards [1]:
>> 1) Install the latest nvidia beta driver (currently 177.13)
>> 2) Set the following options:
>> $ nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1
>>
>> (Hint: some users reported it worked with InitialPixmapPlacement=1 for
>> them)
>>
>> This worked really well for me (plasma really responsive), so I thought I'd
>> share it.
>>
> It does improve the performance a bit for me (GeForce 8600M GT), but that's
> far from making the system usable.
> I often have some small X freezes, where nothing answers for a few seconds...
>

>> To make kwin work well with those new settings I had to adjust
>> Settings->Desktop->D. Effects / Advanced Options to:
>> - Compositing type: OpenGL
>> - OpenGL mode: Shared Memory
>>
> Well, this works if you're lucky enough to be able to enable desktop effects !
> Often, X freezes for at least 10 seconds when I enable them. That's enough for
> the "timeout" and KWin decides to disable effects then...

I've also the GeForce 8600M GT, I've installed the newest driver and
have applied your other proposed tweaks but unfortunately that did not
lead to much better performance.

Maybe a little bit better, but not much...

BTW: Does anybody know if nvidia will release drivers in the near future
that work well with my card? If not, I could send my notebook back to
dell...

Regards,
Thomas