List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Raptor=Dolphin?
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-29 12:20:27

On Sunday 29 June 2008 12:32:10 Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> On Sunday, 29. June 2008 11:55:02 Michael Leupold wrote:
> > Hi Anne,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 29. Juni 2008 schrieb AnneWilson:
> > > Wikipedia page on Plasma says 'The planned replacement for KMenu in
> > > later versions of KDE 4, called Raptor, will make extensive use of
> > > this.'  Did Raptor become Dolphin?  Or is it a stage still to come?
> >
> > That's still to come. You can find some information on raptor at
> > http://raptor-menu.org/ (not that much yet :)). Unfortunately I don't
> > know what the status of raptor is currently.
>
> Maybe Aaron can comment on this in more detail, but my attention was caught
> because of the "Dolphin" in the subject... The "Raptor=Dolphin" question is
> unclear for me: As Dolphin did not (and never was intended to) replace
> Konqueror my guess is that the question was meant as "Will Raptor be the
> new _default_ menu?" Is this the question?
>
> As far as I know:
> - Raptor is developed outside the scope of the core-plasma team.
> - There has been no decision done whether Raptor will be the default menu
> in future KDE versions. I think this topic even has not been discussed at
> all, as Raptor is still in alpha stage.
>
> The cool thing in Plasma is that the user is not restricted anymore to use
> one single application launcher menu :-) Currently there is Kickoff and
> KMenu available, Raptor and Lancelot are alternative solutions that might
> be available for KDE 4.2.
>
> Which of those 4 menus might be default for KDE 4.2/4.x is completely open.

Hi, Peter.  There was the possibility that raptor had been renamed, for any
reason, and I needed to rule that out.  I propose to say that it is being
developed as a third option, together with Dolphin and Classic.  I haven't
come across Lancelot :-) so maybe I should look that up too.

Do you think I'm taking roughly the right approach?  This is for the end-user
glossary - not intended to be technical in any way.

Anne