List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Raptor=Dolphin?
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-06-29 11:32:10

Hi Anne,

On Sunday, 29. June 2008 11:55:02 Michael Leupold wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> Am Sonntag, 29. Juni 2008 schrieb AnneWilson:
> > Wikipedia page on Plasma says 'The planned replacement for KMenu in later
> > versions of KDE 4, called Raptor, will make extensive use of this.'  Did
> > Raptor become Dolphin?  Or is it a stage still to come?
>
> That's still to come. You can find some information on raptor at
> http://raptor-menu.org/ (not that much yet :)). Unfortunately I don't know
> what the status of raptor is currently.

Maybe Aaron can comment on this in more detail, but my attention was caught
because of the "Dolphin" in the subject... The "Raptor=Dolphin" question is
unclear for me: As Dolphin did not (and never was intended to) replace
Konqueror my guess is that the question was meant as "Will Raptor be the new
_default_ menu?" Is this the question?

As far as I know:
- Raptor is developed outside the scope of the core-plasma team.
- There has been no decision done whether Raptor will be the default menu in
future KDE versions. I think this topic even has not been discussed at all,
as Raptor is still in alpha stage.

The cool thing in Plasma is that the user is not restricted anymore to use one
single application launcher menu :-) Currently there is Kickoff and KMenu
available, Raptor and Lancelot are alternative solutions that might be
available for KDE 4.2.

Which of those 4 menus might be default for KDE 4.2/4.x is completely open.

Best regards,
Peter