List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Open question to all developers.
From:       AnneWilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-28 7:48:58

On Saturday 28 June 2008 06:06:51 Kelly Miller wrote:
> I'm not sure the problem actually is that no one knows where the info is
> (though indications are that there might be problems there); from what I've
> seen, most of the problems come from users who have used random versions of
> KDE4 (most commonly the parts labelled ALPHA) and believe that KDE4 will
> always be like this, forgetting that similar sorts of things happen
> whenever a new major version of anything is released.

There is definitely a problem there.  I've been a KDE user for 7(?) years, and
I still have problems finding info.  Maybe it's partly due to that, but
people see quotes that give them the heeby-jeebies.  For instance, at one
point Aaron said something like 'The cashew is permanent.  Get used to it'.
Out of context that sounded as though nothing that users said about their
needs would be heeded.  Since most people only saw the out-of-context quote
that was a big problem.  This is the reason I feel so strongly about an
authoritative source of info for users.  It doesn't even matter if it mainly
consists of links to existing info.  It just needs to make sure people get
the whole and correct story.

> For example, the
> most common complaint I've seen so far is that the KDE desktop "does not
> act like a desktop", though what the user in question really means is that
> KDE is not imping more Windows features.  Although I can (and do)
> repeatedly tell them how to handle this, most of them simply turn around
> and repeat, verbatim, the same arguments a short time later.

It's not really a Windows thing.  For me, for instance, my desktop gets
temporarily littered with documents that I am dealing with for a particular
task, just as a physical desktop does.  When the task is finished the docs
get filed or binned, just as physical ones do.  That is an intuitive way of
working for many of us.  Again, the replacement for that way of working needs
clear explanation in a place that we can consistently point out to people.

Anne