List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Suggestion about a project workflow system
From:       FiNeX <finex () finex ! org>
Date:       2008-06-27 9:53:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Some emails ago, someone said that using a project management tool means
duplicate the work for developers.

I'm sure that it is not true.

Developers, instead of keeping updated a plain text file, or whatever else
their are used to, should all use the same centralized system.

I hope that actually, for a good development, developers are doing this two
basilar things:
- write down somehere what they plan (1)
- track what they have done (2)

About (2) this is actually done directly on the SVN commit.

We need only a system for keeping the development plan (1) and when something
is done:
- if this implements a planned feature, this will automatically marked as done
(there is the need of something which will connect SVN commits with the
development plan, something like it is done with BUG: # for closing bugzilla
reports);
- if this implements a not planned feature, this will be automatically added
to the implemented features on the development plan.

This will improve a lot the communication from devs to users.

A good automation could be to transform wishes from b.k.o (when approved) to
planned features in the project management system. When this will be
implemented the corresponding "WISH" will be automatically closed.

The correct workflow will be:

1) users/devs/contributors can discuss about not planned features (in a way
that I'll explain at a later time). Call this discussions D1.

2 (optional) ) When the discussion D1 has enough informations a WISH can be
added on b.k.o ( B1)

3) if the new feature discussed on the first point is approved by developers
it will be added in the project management system (if needed, simply
confirming the wish B1). We can call this F1

4) at a certain time one developer (or more) will implement the feature F1

5) developer(s) will commits it and, while doing this, he will mark the
feature F1 as implemented. Automatically F1 will be marked as done and B1
will be closed.

A further automation could be to do a link from the initial users discussion
to F1, so all commenters of discussion D1 will be informed about the
implementation of F1.

Again, what do you (developers) think about this?
I'm trying to analyze the question so I need a good feedback :-)

Thanks again to all! :-)

Regards.

--
by FiNeX