List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Inclusion of cursor themes in kdebase
From:       "Marco Martin" <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-25 9:01:45

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> On 2008-06-24, Marco Martin <notmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the Oxygen team has completed the work for a first "shippable" version of the
>> oxygen mouse cursor theme, we hope to be able to put it in kdebase before the
>> artwork freeze.
>> the problem with them is that xcursor is a bit stupid and searches them in
>> some hardcoded paths plus the environment variable XCURSOR_PATH, so since
>> they should be installed in the icons folder that can also be
>> not /usr/share/icons where it searches by default the env path must be set
>>
>> so i made a patch to the startkde script that sets the search path to
>> `kde4-config --path icon` plus the standard hardcoded ones (i know it's ugly
>> but otherwise it would not search in them anymore)
>
> I think it sounds too ugly to be used the default. Whattabout just having a
> -DI_INSTALL_MY_CURSORS_IN_WEIRD_PLACES that activates it, off by
> default?
wouldn't it be too easy to broke the intallation? in this case if you
install kde in other places than /usr they won't get found
would be possible to enable that flag if the install prefix is
different than /usr? or enable that part of startkde upon a check of
the install prefix?

>> the second patch sets the theme "Oxygen Zion" as default, since is the one
>> with better contrast
>>
>> i would put the cursors themselves in kdebase/workspace/cursors since the
>> wallpapers are in workspace already
>>
>> the files to be putted in now are at
>> /trunk/playground/artwork/cursors
>>
>> they are only the final generated ones, since won't be really feasible
>> to "build" them during the kde build, because it involves png generation from
>> inkscape, so the svgs and the other files needed for generation would reside
>> playground for the time being..
>
> Does this for distributors fulfil the requirement of providing
> preferred form of modification (source) in the cursors license?

yeah, could be a problem but the build of them from svg is really ugly.
-it takes a series of svgs
-replaces the colors in it with sed to make the various colored versions
-generates the pngs with inkscape (don't really think the build of kde
should depend from inkscape)
-generates the cursors files with xcursorgen.

could maybe the cursor directory contain the svgs and the
configuration files that are simply here and they don't get built or
installed?

Cheers,
Marco Martin