List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Inclusion of cursor themes in kdebase
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2008-06-25 7:26:55

On 2008-06-24, Marco Martin <notmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> the Oxygen team has completed the work for a first "shippable" version of the
> oxygen mouse cursor theme, we hope to be able to put it in kdebase before the
> artwork freeze.
> the problem with them is that xcursor is a bit stupid and searches them in
> some hardcoded paths plus the environment variable XCURSOR_PATH, so since
> they should be installed in the icons folder that can also be
> not /usr/share/icons where it searches by default the env path must be set
>
> so i made a patch to the startkde script that sets the search path to
> `kde4-config --path icon` plus the standard hardcoded ones (i know it's ugly
> but otherwise it would not search in them anymore)

I think it sounds too ugly to be used the default. Whattabout just having a
-DI_INSTALL_MY_CURSORS_IN_WEIRD_PLACES that activates it, off by
default?

> the second patch sets the theme "Oxygen Zion" as default, since is the one
> with better contrast
>
> i would put the cursors themselves in kdebase/workspace/cursors since the
> wallpapers are in workspace already
>
> the files to be putted in now are at
> /trunk/playground/artwork/cursors
>
> they are only the final generated ones, since won't be really feasible
> to "build" them during the kde build, because it involves png generation from
> inkscape, so the svgs and the other files needed for generation would reside
> playground for the time being..

Does this for distributors fulfil the requirement of providing
preferred form of modification (source) in the cursors license?

But wearing my packagers hat, I would actually prefer a seperate tarball
with the cursors, and not have them integrated in -workspace. I have
earlier built them myself (back in january) and that wasn't any real
problem.

/Sune