List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: apologies
From:       Stephen Kelly <steveire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-12 22:40:23

Joshua J. Berry wrote:
> From where I sit, this whole discussion has gotten blown way out of hand,
> and
> should have ended a long time ago.  I have to admit I got kind of
> pissed-off
> just reading through it all.  But I'm going to try to set that aside and
> offer some hopefully-constructive suggestions so this doesn't happen
> again.

Thanks for the mail Joshua. You said a lot of things I wanted to say to, but
didn't have the right words for it. This was a very frustrating thread to
read.

> Anyway, it really pains me to see flame-wars like this.  One of the things
> that attracts me to KDE (aside from its kick-assitude :D) is the fact that
> we have such a big community in which people are able to communicate and
> solve problems in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect.
>
> Please don't ruin that.

Agreed. KDE already knows and emphasizes the value of community very well,
but threads like this make me think there is a need for a community manager
or similar role within KDE - So that Aaron wouldn't have to do that along
with everything else as in this thread. Amarok already has Lydia, Ubuntu
has Jono Bacon, Mozilla has Asa Dotzler etc.

I don't know a lot about these things, but I imagine such a role could have
the standing and know-how to prevent threads like this getting so painful
and generally just herding cats.

Any thoughts or ideas of who might be up to the task?

Steve.