List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: apologies
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-06-11 22:21:27

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 06:46:17 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> As for the bullying, Mark's first post on the "fork" thread is not what I
> would call very friendly and respectful.

I wouldn't call it friendly either.  But !friendly != bullying.

Also, please recall the context & the flow:  Aaron had already gone off (then
subsequently agreed with Michael Hoffer, as noted below), then James Richard
Tyrer posted an email with a good half-dozen suggestions.  It was to that
email that Michael Hoffer starts off his reply with:

"The whole discussion is really boring! It's like the discussions about
the effectiveness of graphical user interfaces in the 80ies. I thinkt
that plasma developers will be very thankfull if people make real
suggestions instead of just complaining without trying to understand
the consequences of the new idea."

I his third sentence, he intimates that we are "just complaining without
trying to understand the consequences of the new idea" and suggests that we
should instead make "real suggestions".  After James had just given a
half-dozen suggestions!

We were complaining because we *do* understand, and because we *have* thought
about the consequences.

When people who complain, comment, suggest improvements, on the weaknesses of
plasma get attacked by people like Aaron or Michael, it puts us on the
defensive.

It was then that I jumped in to respond to the slurs Michael had levied that
we "just complain without trying to understand the consequences of the new
idea"  or don't make real suggestions.

But even at our most defensive, we never said anyone was stupid, or that they
spoke without thinking, or weren't capable of reading, or couldn't develop
software, etc, etc.

Regards,

Mark