List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Color Palette Nits
From:       "Joshua J. Berry" <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2008-06-11 7:16:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi list,

I was playing around with color schemes today, and I noticed a few minor nits.
Some of these are application-specific, but for the rest I'm not sure if
they're Qt bugs, Oxygen bugs, or what.

Where should I direct these issues?

Please refer to http://www.condordes.net/tmp/kde4-weird-palette.png (warning:
1600x1200 PNG).  Before you scream, yes I know it's ugly. ;)  I was just
playing around to see what I could get the new color system to do.  I do
expect one would be able to create an otherwise-pleasing color scheme that
exposes these bugs, however.

The issues are as follows:

1. Oxygen's triangular tree expanders are drawn using the Window Foreground
color, when they should probably be drawn using the View Foreground color.

2. KMail's From/To headers use the View Link colors, when they should use the
Window Link colors.

3. The descriptive text in System Settings should use the Window foreground
color.  (This is common to all config modules.)

4. QGroupBox titles should use the Window foreground color.

5. Combo box text should use the Button foreground color.

6. The launcher's tab captions should use the View foreground color.  (You
might also note the "Search:" box at the top has the same problem.)

7. In Plasma's "Aya" theme, the panel seems to follow one palette (Window),
while the text follows another (View).

If you could tell me what the best way to address or report these are, I'd
appreciate it.  I could file Bugzilla bugs, but (a) I'm not sure what
component to put some of them in, and (b) I'm not sure something this trivial
is worth it.

Also, if you'd like to see the color scheme I used for this screenshot, please
let me know.  The scheme's major trait is that the Window and View palettes
are (almost) inversions of each other -- e.g. the View's background is
#E0E0E0, and the Window's foreground is also #E0E0E0.

Thanks,
Josh

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune