List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 18:19:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, David Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 01:24:14 am aishen wrote:
> > There is unfortunatly evil people everywhere :)
>
> What I have learned from all of this is that if you criticize (or appear to
> criticize) anything in KDE then you are an evil person. The sarcasm and
> namecalling didn't start until I mentioned that Folderview did not have the
> same functionality as KDesktop.

here's the conversation:

David: "I want the desktop to represent my Desktop (or home) directory."

Christopher: "That capability is there in 4.1, it's simply not the default.
?Try the beta and put a folderview containment on the desktop"

David: "I've used the folderview, and it's NOT the same thing!"

Me: "folderview as your desktop containment/activity holder is *exactly* the
same thing."

David: "A single box in one corner cannot do this. It won't let me move a file
from the box to anywhere else. I don't have .desktop files on the desktop."

it was at this point, where you continue to insist that the folderview can
only be used as "box in one corner" that i basically lost all patience for the
conversation. so i went through it in detail, once again.

my errors in judgement consisted of the following:

a) figuring that as a development mailing list, i could speak as a developer to
other developers rather than as a developer to a user. i was really caught out
assuming kde-devel would be contextually appropriate for technical discussion.
had i treated the thread as a pure user support request in the first place, it
would have gone a lot better.

b) getting frustrated after being told several times that day that i didn't
know what i was talking about. i'm sorry i got frustrated, regardless of
whether there was reason to or not.

> saying that I was stupid in the head.

no, i said that *i* was not stupid in the head. let me quote precisely
for you from my email:

"so yes, i'm not stupid in the head. i know what you mean and i'm telling you:
it's not a box in the corner when it's used as the containment, in fact it
works the same way kdesktop did in that case."

how many times in this thread has things i've said been twisted and misquoted?
*sigh*

> I did not realize that such functionality was planned for 4.2. I did not

you also didn't realize what functionality existed already for 4.1.

as a suggestion for the future: maybe you could ask questions instead of
trying to argue with the people writing the code under discussion, unless of
course you actually have an understanding of that code?

> mean to imply that Plasma was bad, inferior or useless without this
> feature.

i never thought you did (others managed to, but that's another matter); i did
feel you weren't listening to what was being said, however. it appeared to me
that when you read something that didn't match your understanding, instead of
asking about it you just fired back an unequivocal "I've used the folderview,
and it's NOT the same thing!" or "it is not *exactly* the same thing."

perhaps if what i say does not match your understanding, consider asking for
further explanation instead of yelling back at me that i'm wrong.

> cast aspersions on any person. All I did was mention that Folderview did
> not provide a certain desired piece of functionality.

that wasn't what triggered this. it was trying to insist that you knew that
folderview wasn't the same as kdesktop and therefore, when i answered
otherwise, that *i* was somehow confused. given that i'm helping write the
code in question, that's really arrogant.

i am tired of dealing with that kind of attitude from people. if it was just
once in a while, it would not a problem. but i've been dealing with being told
by various people that i am wrong, tyrannical, responsible for destroying
their project, etc pretty much on a constant basis for the last couple of
years.

i only have so many cheeks to turn before i decide it's better to take the
hint and go do something else that doesn't involve such routine abuse. and
hey, who knows.. maybe you all are right and i'm the most massive fuck up to
ever grace this mailing list. in which case, everyone will be better off.

cheers.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se