List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 15:49:21

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Having things settable only by dragging is an accessibility issue not to
>> mention
>
> the a11y issue is actually quite solvable, making it no different than a spin
> box for assisted technologies.
>
>> a usability issue.
>
> to quote princess bride, "you keep using that word, but i do not think it
> means what you think it means."

Well, what I mean is that it is just plain simply hard to do.

M-W 	usable:

	2 : convenient and practicable for use

>> Sticky points are a poor substitute for the dialog in KDE3.  It is a bad
>> idea to set the panel to small sizes that require icons smaller than
>> 32x32 unless one of the two sizes (16x16 or 22x22) are chosen.
>
> we can make sticky points in as many points as we want.
>
>> Why not just add a button "Set Size" to open a dialog similar to KDE3.
>
> because we'd need to add a dialog for every single such feature. it's not a
> solution that scales.

Just a general tip.  Some people such as me tend to speak in paragraphs.
  I get the impression that you don't actually read what the writer has
written but just go through the posting making 'hit and run' comments on
the first pass without bothering to read the whole thing first.  That
shows a large lack of respect foe the writer.

>> Actually, it looks to me that you are going to have to have a (general)
>> configuration dialog if the Panel is going to be fully configurable.
>
> interestingly, the code is proving otherwise.

Please note that I answered your first remark with the rest of my
paragraph and that most people are going to notice that your two remarks
are not logically consistent.

>>> in plamsa you just put up a panel, put a taskbar in it and you're done.
>>> replace taskbar for whatever applet(s) you wish.
>> You are partially correct.  It doesn't need to be a Panel.
>
> glad we agree.

I think not and you would know that if you had read the whole paragraph
before replying to part of it.

>> But ... (see below).

Actually, not needing to be a Panel is subject to the condition below.

> see below, indeed.

>>> you coverd this elsewhere in your mail, has nothing to do with the
>>> taskbar.
>> The KDE3 External Taskbar has autohide.  Will the KDE4 Taskbar widget
>> have autohide, or will you have to put it in a Panel to have this feature?
>
> <repeat>panels will have autohide</repeat>

but will a taskbar widget have autohide? which was my question!

You are clearly so busy finding ways to say that I am wrong that you
don't bother to even read what I wrote.

So, please try it again:

Will the KDE4 Taskbar widget have autohide, or will I have to put it in
a Panel to have this feature?

This seems to be a clear question which you have not answered.

Specifically, "Panels will have auto hide" does not answer it.

>>> define "does not work".
>> If resized to a vertical aspect, you do not get a vertical list.  Just
>> try it.  Or see attached KDE3 screen shot.
>
> or see this kde4 screen shot:
>
> 	http://plasma.kde.org/media/vertical_taskbar_kde4.png

That is nice but ...

Is there some secret undocumented way to get that.

I say that because, this is what I get [see attached], and I hope that
you can understand why I might say that it doesn't work.

--
JRT

["v-taskbar4.png" (image/png)]