List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 2:15:40

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>> works.
>> Partially works.  Where do you select the Panel size by selecting the
>> icon size like in KDE3?
>
> there is no such place.
>
>> There is a general complaint here.  Drag settings are not a substitute
>> for a spin box and/or a radio.
>
> and why exactly? if the answer is, "because i'd like to achieve certain well
> known 'good' sizes for icons" then the real answer is "then we provide
> 'sticky' points during resize that correspond to those points".

Having things settable only by dragging is an accessibility issue not to
mention a usability issue.

Sticky points are a poor substitute for the dialog in KDE3.  It is a bad
idea to set the panel to small sizes that require icons smaller than
32x32 unless one of the two sizes (16x16 or 22x22) are chosen.

Why not just add a button "Set Size" to open a dialog similar to KDE3.
Actually, it looks to me that you are going to have to have a (general)
configuration dialog if the Panel is going to be fully configurable.

> note that this is how we handle hitting the center point on the screen for
> centering a panel, or nice 45 or 90 degree angles when rotating applets.

>>> works.
>> Partially works.  First it is not a Panel
>
> "i want to take this feature from kicker literally pixel for pixel over to
> plasma" just doesn't work because the two do not have a clean 1:1 mapping
> across all functions.
>
> in plasma a panel is simply a container for whatever you wish to put in it,
> period. the divide in kicker of some things being "panels" and other things
> being "applets" (of which there half a dozen sub-types) and some things having
> multiple implementations to be more than one of these types was a horrible,
> horrible design tack to take in terms of consistency and flexibility.
>
> in plamsa you just put up a panel, put a taskbar in it and you're done.
> replace taskbar for whatever applet(s) you wish.

You are partially correct.  It doesn't need to be a Panel.  But ... (see
below).

>> and it isn't very useful if it
>> doesn't have autohide and/or a hot spot on the edge of the screen.
>
> you coverd this elsewhere in your mail, has nothing to do with the taskbar.

The KDE3 External Taskbar has autohide.  Will the KDE4 Taskbar widget
have autohide, or will you have to put it in a Panel to have this feature?

>> Second, it does not work vertically.
>
> define "does not work".

If resized to a vertical aspect, you do not get a vertical list.  Just
try it.  Or see attached KDE3 screen shot.

--
JRT

["v-taskbar.png" (image/png)]