List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-09 21:38:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 09 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> OK, then we need align to grid (actually snap to grid), lock in place,
> and even if you use neither of these, Folder View needs to remember
> where icons were when you restart your KDE session.

agreed. would you like me to list all the other features that need to be there
that you didn't? because trust me, i have a much more comprehensive list of
things.

> Also, I am currently unable to drag something to a Folder View.

i answered this in a previous mail in this thread.

> > so yes, i'm not stupid in the head.
>
> No, but you tend to be in denial about issues that need fixing. :-D

this statement, smiley or not, puts a wall between you and me. after reading
it i was pretty pissed off. i don't deserve that kind of statement, nor does it
actually refelct reality. i don't want to deal with you like this.

now .... we're following a blueprint layed down for the last 2 years that is
bringing you exactly what you want and that holds out the hope of preventing
us becoming this generation's CDE.

rewriting a primary user interface from virtually scratch and trying to do it
with maintanability, beauty, usability and innovation in mind isn't exactly a
2 month project.

it's not "being in denial", but simple the time it takes to do things in such
a way that we can achieve the goals on the table.

> > i know what you mean and i'm telling you: it's not a box in the
> > corner when it's used as the containment, in fact it works the same
> > way kdesktop did in that case.
>
> So, why not make everyone happy and have a checkbox somewhere in
> configuration that adds a full screen Folder View with a 100%
> transparent background (probably two checkboxes) and make this the
> default -- or does this exist and I simply couldn't find it?  Only

we can't add UI for this in 4.1 (freezes being what they are) but plasma will
have a gui to switch your containment choices in 4.2.

> reason to turn this off is that if you don't want icons on the DeskTop.

or if you aren't using a desktop in the first place.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se