List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-09 20:42:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 09 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >>
> >> Smaller size Panels.
> >
> > works.
>
> Partially works.  Where do you select the Panel size by selecting the
> icon size like in KDE3?

there is no such place.

> There is a general complaint here.  Drag settings are not a substitute
> for a spin box and/or a radio.

and why exactly? if the answer is, "because i'd like to achieve certain well
known 'good' sizes for icons" then the real answer is "then we provide
'sticky' points during resize that correspond to those points".

note that this is how we handle hitting the center point on the screen for
centering a panel, or nice 45 or 90 degree angles when rotating applets.

> >> The stand alone taskbar.
> >
> > works.
>
> Partially works.  First it is not a Panel

"i want to take this feature from kicker literally pixel for pixel over to
plasma" just doesn't work because the two do not have a clean 1:1 mapping
across all functions.

in plasma a panel is simply a container for whatever you wish to put in it,
period. the divide in kicker of some things being "panels" and other things
being "applets" (of which there half a dozen sub-types) and some things having
multiple implementations to be more than one of these types was a horrible,
horrible design tack to take in terms of consistency and flexibility.

in plamsa you just put up a panel, put a taskbar in it and you're done.
replace taskbar for whatever applet(s) you wish.

> and it isn't very useful if it
> doesn't have autohide and/or a hot spot on the edge of the screen.

you coverd this elsewhere in your mail, has nothing to do with the taskbar.

> Second, it does not work vertically.

define "does not work".

> >> AutoHide.
> >
> > yes, todo.
> >
> >> Still miss
> >> from KDE-3.4 having a panel that can be covered by windows.
> >> Configurability.
> >
> > todo as well; depends on above, actually
>
> But, not the same as autohide.

let me say it more clearly: having a panel that can be covered by windows
requires the same underlying work that makes autohide panels possible.

i know it's note the *same* as autohide. i also happen to know that
technically, under the hood, the two features rely on the same body of work
(they are actually two aspects of the same feature)

and that is what i wrote, only that i used but 7 words to do it.

> >> Being able to drag icons from the menu.
> >
> > works.
>
> Partially works.  You can't drop them in a "Folder View" widget.  And,

the folder view currently does not support any dropping (menu or anywhere
else, but you seem to know that); that hasn't been implemented at this point
but will be.

> you can't drop them on the DeskTop.

*sigh* yes, you can. there was a regression in the handling of the geometry of
the drop event that i fixed after reading your email, testing and seeing that
it didn't work. it used to work, there was a regression, i fixed it, it works
again.

> >> Having 'desktop' file icons on the desktop -- the new system may be
> >> better, but currently it is only good for files and folders.
> >
> > .desktop files are still meant to appear as icons. separating those from
> > the filesystem is intentional.
>
> Can I currently put a *.desktop file on the DeskTop and create an icon?

*sigh* yes. see above.

> >> Having
> >> files on the desktop.  Drag and drop to and from Konqueror.  Dragging
> >> from the menu (you can drag, but the icons won't drop).
> >
> > works in trunk.
>
> Do you mean that I can have files on the desktop in TRUNK?

yes. see above.

> Actually, what I was referring to was that you can't drop into a "Folder
> View" widget.  Perhaps this is only a bug and it is supposed to work.

yes. see above.

> >> Yes, I was being general, but I am *not* saying that I don't like KDE4.
> >>   Just that I miss features.
> >>
> >> Some of the applets are missing.  I sometimes use the panel color
> >> picker.
>
> I don't seem to see it in the "Add Widgets" dialog.

it's in KDE/kdeplasmoids/applets/kolourpicker

> > i seem to have one. unfortunately due to x.org's argb features lacking in
> > various ways, it doesn't actually work and gives you odd colours no
> > matter what you click on. go x.org! =/
> >
> >> I can't seem to find a hex editor or viewer part.
> >
> > okteta in kdeutils?
>
> Yes, Only problem is calling it "binary" instead of "hex".  It is *hex"
> and this should be changed.

agreed; the word "hex" should appear in the .desktop file somewhere since that
is a common term for these kinds of editors (even though "binary editor" is
technically correct). can't do that until 4.2 though due to the string freeze.

> So, that is another complaint.  I don't like these non-descriptive names
> for minor applications.

that's one of the nice features of krunner: if you type in "binary" you get
okteta; type in "editor" it also show up (along with lots of others, so not as
useful). with the right keywords in .desktop files, it really shouldn't matter
too much what the apps are named as you can search by function.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se