List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Howto full-time code KDE for fun and for a living?
From:       Paul Adams <paul.adams () siriusit ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-05-27 12:11:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Tomasz,

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:30:43PM +0200, tomasz2k@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> I'd love to full-time code KDE if I could but there is no such job.

Welcome to the club! You are in good company; there are many more
people around, like yourself, who would love to work on KDE fulltime.

> My general question is how to get such a job?

For any given Free Software project, jobs like this are hard to come
by. But they are out there, you just need to look carefully. I don't
particularly know of anyone looking to employ a full-time KDE hacker
at the moment.

Craig's List <http://www.craigslist.org> is often a good place to
start the hunt. Also try:

* http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs
* http://www.dice.com

Either that or just get in contact with the big boys:
Trolltech, Canonical, etc.

> Or how do you guys manage to have a money for living and still code
> KDE for few hours daily while still having your family, hobbies and
> spare time?

Some recent research has shown that, across Europe, only about 51% of
Free Software developers actually make some form of income from their
development work.

I don't get paid to work on KDE in particular, however all of my work
relates to Free Software. My employer is a supporting member of KDE
e.V., so I am allowed a little time in my job to do some KDE-related
research - that's what /I/ do for the project.

I do spend some time out of office time on KDE, but not much. That
time is reserved for friends, family, etc. There are many people out
there, I'm sure, where KDE /is/ their hobby.

> If you know some KDE or other Qt-open source related open jobs in
> Warsaw

I don't, but good luck with the hunt.

All the best,
Paul